The Ultimate Guide To New York Fashion Week: 101
Hi Ladies n’ Gents,
Let this post serve as your “Ultimate Guide To New York Fashion Week: 101″. The next edition comes out when I get back in September! I do not know it all n’ I am sure I will learn more this go round but what I learned can benefit all of you! Last February was my first time attending NYFW n’ I must say I had no idea how to dress or what to expect! I researched the mess out of this event! I tried to find street style posts, pictures on instagram, facebook, you name it. After a while I just winged it! I decided to just wear pieces that complimented me n’ my feelings at the time. The best piece of advice I can tell you is to be yourself, dress how you please n’ truly anything goes!
This month I will give you style inspiration on what to wear during NYFW. The ensembles will range from hipster to glam queen, which is truly what you will see during fashion week! EVERYTHING, from gym shoes, to heels, to avant garde style. Anything goes!
1. Be true to yourself, you can tell when someone is trying to hard n’ just wants to get photographed!
2. ANYTHING goes at NYFW
3. EVERYTHING IS EXPENSIVE IN NEW YORK! Depending on how long you stay bring enough money to be comfortable.
(For example, the food pictured above cost me $20 n’ it was JUST ALRIGHT! My readers know I LOVE FOOD, this almost killed my vibe LOLOLOL) Please comment below on what restaurants to try while I am there!
4. Do not expect to see the city! NYFW is crazy! You will be busy running around attending shows, events, etc! On the VERY last night before my am flight, I had the opportunity to try out Juniors. As we were walking, late at night, we walked upon Times Square. That was the only thing I can tell you I was able to see during fashion week, which was on mistake! LOLOL
5. Your feet will hurt from running around all day so plan your ensembles accordingly.
6. Do not expect to sleep
7. GET TO SHOWS AT LEAST 30 MINUTES EARLY
8. Try your best to plan out your days! Know the shows you are going to BY DAY, where they are located in the city, n’ plan the time allotted to get there.
9. Buy a subway pass!!!
10. Download the Hopstop app, awesome for directions
11. Bring enough business cards to build a four bedroom house with! NEVER leave with out them!
12. Get up in enough time to take your time to get dressed! If a show starts at 9, get up at 6:30. For me, I need to shower, do my hair n’ makeup, get dressed, get a cab, THEN get to the show. If possible eat.
13. Look for fashion shows n’ events via Eventbrite.com (You will be surprised)
NYFW is your time to let your light shine! I am truly a reserved person n’ quite bashful so this was my moment to step outside of myself n’ lay my cards out on the table.
Press Pass: Many people may want to know what is the point of apply for a press pass during NYFW. Well…this gives you access to sitting in the pits n’ getting photos of the models up close n’ personal. I am sure more special perks are offered but those I am not 100% on. For the Fall/Spring 2013 Collection I did not apply for press credentials! I did not have any experience n’ on the application it asked questions regarding: “what shows have you attended?” n’ etc. Well…seeing I had attend none, there was no point to even try plus I did not have $100 to spare! This year I am applying this does not mean I will automatically be granted access, but from what I have been hearing n’ reading it is a worth while investment. If you are interested in applying click—>here
Fashion: Anything goes! Dress how you feel! Look at “My Tips” above for more details but in a nutshell do not think to hard. Traveling from another state I planned out my ensembles. I really felt like I tried too hard. Looking back I am not impressed with my selections but the one photo’d above. I wore this look to the Lulus event n’ it truly represented me, the other ensembles were what I THOUGHT would be featured n’ seen. In all honesty that was a mistake! I put on this ensemble n’ thought, “I am just going to be me!” When I tell you EVERYONE was trying to take my picture, I mean everyone! I was shocked! O…I must say my makeup was LAYED HUNNIE as well! Just sayin…
I sincerely hope this post helps someone out there who will be attending New York Fashion Week! Learn from me, learn from mistakes n’ lessons! I If you see me please come over to speak! I LOVE meeting my readers! Please email me if you have any questions, I’d love to answer them!